9 Mar 2012

Author's Preface






Bimillahir-Rahmanir-Raheem


 



All praise is due to Allah. We praise Him, we beseech help from Him and ask His protection. We confide in Him, we trust Him alone and we seek protection against the evils and mischief of our souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever He guides on the right path, none can misguide him; and whosoever He declares misled, none can guide him onto the right path. We bear witness that none deserves to be worshipped except Allah. He is alone and has no partner. We bear witness that our leader and patron Muhammad is His servant and Messenger. May Allah send salutations upon him, his family, his companions. May He bless and grant them all peace.
For a long period of time, friends have consistently asked me about different aspects of my life and I have, from time to time, fulfilled their requests. Some friends have quoted my words in newspapers and other publications, yet these articles have not been free from exaggeration, additions and omissions. When the published material was reviewed, it became apparent that some details had been misprinted and therefore, emphasis was laid upon the need to write accurate narrations.
My extensive commitments and busy schedule had not allowed me the possibilty to even write a short summary about events in my life. Nevertheless, in 1914, when I was held in detention at Neeni Jail, Alabaad, a strong inclination arose within me and I thought to myself, 'at this time you are liberated from many engagements, so why not see this as a valuable opportunity and complete this important task; because apart from being able to provide accounts of a historical nature, there will be hidayat (guidance) and light within it for generations to come.’ Furthermore, I found that it would be a befitting way to relay the blessings of Allah T'aala.

After contemplating, I realised that just like the showering of rain, the blessings and mercy that Allah had bestowed on me both spiritually and in terms of physical health were gifts that I was neither worthy of nor could ever lay personal claim to. Following the absolute destitute condition of our family, as a result of the revolutionary times, the way our family were raised again in status is only owing to the deep kindness of Allah T’aala and we are indebted to Him.

It was a family tradition that in every era, at least one or two sahih majzoob and many ahle salook remained. However, just before 1857, the family became empty of ahle and irfan-e Sulook and eveyone became engrossed in the world. Ignorance and the pursuit of desires replaced knowledge and ma’arifat. Later, the events of 1857 completely destroyed all forms of livelihood; all wealth and valuables were stolen and most of the property was lost, and therefore, the extreme poverty from all four sides left us crippled. The elders of our family had travelled to their eternal abode and any provisions that could have helped us to rise again had been destroyed.


The continuous famine that manifested itself towards the end of the 19thCentury, left all of India, especially thousands of people in UP and Eastern Oudh in death’s valley. Complete households and lineages were wiped out. Sir William Digby has also stated that between 1875 and 1900 India suffered eighteen droughts and three million lives were lost. At such a time, was it not the matchless blessings of Allah T’aala that He took care of the needs and welfare of these destitute families and orphaned children and showered them with unlimited blessings? We are surely, forever indebted to Him.


(Persian verse to be added)

As a proclamation of Allah T’aala’s blessings, in conformity to the words of the Qur’aan: ’But the bounty of the Lord -rehearse and proclaim,’ I find it essential to mention His Grace and Favour that enveloped my parents, my family and myself, and that still remains present over us. I want to sing verses of gratitude to Him, and make fragrant the minds and hearts of the onlookers.

(Persian verse to be added)

I have observed how pious predecessors in previous generations have written their autobiographies, such as the writings of Hadhrat Shah Waliyullah Rahmatullah Alaih and others. Likewise, there are many present examples written by Muslims and non-Muslims alike. An individual knows his own life’s events and accounts like no other would, so there remains no reason for me to refrain from writing my autobiography. It is written specifically because there is hope that people will benefit from learning about the accurate nature of events, or at least be able refrain from those who were slanderous and distrustful and took to propaganda for their own personal objectives; and I say this even though it seems, or rather is a certainty, that these distrustful and abusive people are the reason for the atonement of my sins and have been a source for others to gather good deeds.

To conclude my explanation, I want to present the following words, and raise my hands to Him because of His many favours and pray that He protects me from 'who He is not pleased with’ and gives me the ability to do and say all that is pleasing to Him.

‘And it is not hard for Allah and there is no success but from Allah. In Him I trust and I turn to in repentance: My Lord! Grant me the power and ability that I may be grateful for your favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds, such as please You, and make my offspring good. Truly, I have turned to You in repentance, and truly, I am one of the Muslimeen (submitting to Your Will).’

7 comments:

  1. JazakAllah for this, May Allah swt accept your efforts in allowing the English audience to benefit from one of our great akabir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mashallah and Jazakallah on this great project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ameen and JazakAllah Khayrun for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam, pls include a print function for the post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasalam

    Jazakallah Khayr for your request.Insha Allah i will be uplaoding a PDF format of the completed chapters shortly.

    Shukran Katheera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory be to Allah. May Allah Reward the person/people who have translated and shared this blessed book immensely and grant him/her/them Jannatul firdaws without reckoning.

      Delete
  6. jazakumullah Khayr and Ameen.

    ReplyDelete